This is a great recipe to throw on the grill in the warmer months when you don’t feel like having another sausage or steak. The spice from the red curry pairs beautifully with the minty yogurt sauce and the whole thing is taken to the next level when placed on a bed of Jamaican rice and beans.
Red Curry Chicken Kebabs with Minty Yogurt Sauce
2 1/2 Tbsp. Thai red curry paste
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 kilogram Skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 2.5 cm. cubes
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. Honey
1 Tbsp. Fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. Finely chopped mint
- In a large bowl, mix the curry paste with the oil and 2 teaspoons of salt. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill. In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt with the mayonnaise, honey, lime juice and mint and season with salt.
- Thread the chicken onto 10 skewers, leaving space between the cubes. Grill over moderately high heat, turning frequently, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve the kebabs on a bed of Jamaican rice and beans with the minty yogurt sauce on the side.
Jamaican Rice and Beans
2 Tbsp. Canola oil
1 small Onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp. Finely grated fresh ginger
2 Cups long grain white rice, such as jasmine
One 400 gram can red beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 chili, seeded
One 400 gram can unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 cups water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until coated with the oil. Stir in the red beans and chili, then stir in the coconut milk and water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 18 minutes.
- Remove the rice rom the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in the spring onions and season with salt and black pepper. Discard the chili and serve.